October 12, 2023
If you’ve lost a tooth, some of your confidence was probably lost along with it. A missing tooth can affect your self-esteem, oral health, and quality of life. While you have more options than ever before to fill the gap, there are certain social stigmas surrounding dental prosthetics. You don’t have to be embarrassed if you choose a dental implant to replace your tooth. Here’s why you should be excited to invest in the most reliable solution for tooth loss.
Risks of Untreated Tooth Loss
Losing a tooth isn’t just an aesthetic problem. Every tooth is essential for your oral health and functions. A single missing tooth can lead to several issues, like:
- Bone Loss: You can lose up to 25% of your jaw’s density within the first year of missing a tooth because it isn’t being stimulated by the root. Your jaw will continue to shrink as more time passes.
- Aged Appearance: Tooth loss is associated with being older, but it can also add years to your appearance. Bone loss will cause your facial structure to change, leading to premature wrinkles and sagging skin.
- Dental Problems: Your remaining teeth won’t have sufficient support as your jawbone deteriorates. They can shift and become more difficult to keep clean. You can have an increased risk of cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss.
- Jaw Pain: Shifting teeth can also affect your bite, which can cause uneven pressure distribution on your temporomandibular joints. This can cause jaw pain and lead to a TMJ disorder.
Benefits of Dental Implants
A dental implant is unlike any other tooth replacement method because it replicates both the root and the crown. A titanium post is surgically placed into your jawbone to serve as a root. Your bone will fuse to it through a process called osseointegration. An abutment is placed on the post to connect your custom-made restoration. It will be made to match the color, size, and shape of your real teeth to blend in.
Dental implants offer exceptional benefits, including:
- Feels Natural: A dental implant has the support of your jaw, allowing it to feel like a real tooth. You can regain 70% of your natural biting force.
- Jawbone Preservation: A dental implant stops bone loss caused by missing teeth by replicating the tooth root.
- Improves Oral Health: A strong jawbone prevents your teeth from shifting to lessen your risk of preventable dental problems.
- Youthful Appearance: Treating tooth loss can take 10 years off your appearance.
- High Success Rate: Dental implants have over a 95% success rate and can last for 30 years or more with the right care, like brushing or flossing.
- Cost-Effective Solution: You’ll never have to budget for replacements and improve your oral health to reduce your future dental expenses.
It’s never too late to fill the gap in your smile. You can’t put a price on the benefits you’ll gain by investing in a dental implant.
About Dr. Bradford G. Young
Dr. Young received his dental degree from the University of Pennsylvania Dental School and has regularly continued his education to provide up-to-date services, like dental implants. He is affiliated with many professional organizations, including the American Dental Association and the Academy of General Dentistry. Schedule an appointment through his website or call (610) 439-1363.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.